Fake Or Fortune?
Every picture tells a story, but in this engaging mini-series valuable paintings are about to be treated as crime scenes! Beyond the genteel galleries and upmarket auction houses of the art world lies a dimension rarely seen - a darker side of incalculable wealth, social ambition, and sometimes subterfuge. A recognized art sleuth, a doctor of history, and cutting edge scientists join forces to discover the truth behind controversial paintings. From Paris and Amsterdam to Cape Town and New York, the team employs old-fashioned detective skills, real-time investigations, and the latest forensic testing to reveal compelling tales of lost masterpieces, forgers and Nazi-looted art.
Fake Or Fortune? Previous Broadcasts
Spoils of War (Episode #104H)
KQED 9: Mon, Jul 9, 2012 -- 9:00 PM
Suspicions are aroused when Philip and his researcher Bendor spot a rogue picture for sale in a South African auction house. It exudes all the classic scent of being a "sleeper," an important picture that has been miscataloged and offered for a very low price. But there's a darker side revealed when investigations discover that it is a wanted painting, once thought to have been painted by Rembrandt and stolen by the Nazis during World War II.
- KQED 9: Mon, Jul 16, 2012 -- 1:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 -- 7:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 -- 11:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Jul 14, 2012 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED Life: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Life: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 -- 8:00 PM
- KQED 9: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 -- 3:00 AM
The Genuine Article (Episode #103H)
KQED 9: Mon, Jul 2, 2012 -- 9:00 PM
The art world can be a bear pit with a myriad of tricksters at work. Hanging in one of the most prestigious and respected art institutes in London is a picture Philip has heard of, which may hold the key to unlocking the story of the most audacious forger of all time. Is this a forgery from Han Van Meegeren, a man who dared to fake the work of old masters and made millions from his deception until he was caught in 1945?
- KQED 9: Mon, Jul 9, 2012 -- 1:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sun, Jul 8, 2012 -- 7:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sun, Jul 8, 2012 -- 11:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sun, Jul 8, 2012 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Jul 7, 2012 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED Life: Wed, Jul 4, 2012 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Life: Tue, Jul 3, 2012 -- 8:00 PM
- KQED 9: Tue, Jul 3, 2012 -- 3:00 AM
Lost Picture (Episode #102H)
KQED 9: Sun, Jul 1, 2012 -- 11:00 PM
Fisherman Tony couldn't believe his luck when he stumbled upon a pile of pictures apparently dumped at his favorite riverside spot. Fast forward 15 years and Tony, accompanied by his daughter, is told by Philip Mould at a recording of Antiques Roadshow that one of the pictures is an unknown work by Winslow Homer, worth Â£30,000.
- KQED 9: Mon, Jul 2, 2012 -- 5:00 AM
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.