Latin Music USA
From Latin jazz and mambo to salsa, Tejano, Chicano rock, Latin pop and reggaeton, this 4-hour presentation tells the story of the rise of new American music forged from powerful Latin roots and reveals the often overlooked influence of Latin music on jazz, hip hop, rhythm and blues and rock 'n' roll - and on all of American culture. It's a fresh take on America's musical history, reaching across time and across musical genres to embrace the exciting hybrid sounds created by Latinos, musical fusions that have deeply enriched popular music in the US over more than five decades. Jimmy Smits narrates.
Latin Music USA Previous Broadcasts
Divas and Superstars (Episode #104)
KQED 9: Thu, Sep 29, 2011 -- 11:03 PM
Focuses on the Latin pop explosion of the turn of the century and the success of artists like Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan and Shakira in the English-language market. As studios concentrate on star-driven pop, Latino youth gravitate toward urban fusions - Spanish rap and reggaeton, as well as rock en Espanol.
- KQED Life: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 -- 10:02 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 -- 5:02 AM
The Chicano Wave (Episode #103)
KQED 9: Thu, Sep 22, 2011 -- 11:00 PM
Mexican-Americans in California, Texas, and across the Southwest create their own distinct musical voices during the second half of the 20th century. Their music would play an important role in the struggle for Chicano civil rights and ultimately propel them from the barrio to the national stage.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 25, 2011 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 24, 2011 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 24, 2011 -- 4:00 AM
- KQED Life: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 -- 10:00 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 -- 5:00 AM
The Salsa Revolution (Episode #102)
KQED 9: Thu, Sep 15, 2011 -- 11:01 PM
Puerto Ricans and other Latinos in New York reinvent the Cuban son and the Puerto Rican plena, adding elements from soul and jazz to create salsa, which becomes a defining rhythm for Latinos the world over.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 17, 2011 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 17, 2011 -- 4:01 AM
- KQED Life: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 -- 10:01 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 -- 5:01 AM
Bridges/The Salsa Revolution (Episode #101)
KQED 9: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 -- 11:00 PM
Traces the rise of Latin jazz and the explosion of the mambo and the cha cha cha as they sweep the US from East to West. Latin Music infiltrates R&B and rock and roll through the 1960s.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 11, 2011 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 10, 2011 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 10, 2011 -- 4:00 AM
- KQED Life: Fri, Sep 9, 2011 -- 10:00 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 9, 2011 -- 5:00 AM
Also on KQED.org this week ...
KQED Science Site Relaunches
All of KQED's science and environment content is now aggregated in one place on KQED.org. Find everything from Astronomy to Zebras!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.