This is Us
Northern California is known for stunning redwoods, mountains, and ocean views. It is also home to some of the most fascinating people in the country. This is Us profiles remarkable people who live in Northern California - barrier-breaking individuals who have made our area the special place it is while influencing the world beyond.
This is Us Previous Broadcasts
Lick Observatory/Greg Kihn (Episode #304)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 -- 7:00 PM
* What kind of guy says "no thanks" to a $200 million buyout? You'll meet him when we profile the creator and driving force behind, the popular blog platform, WordPress, 26-year-old Matt Mullenweg. They threw "crazy" money at Mullenweg but he took a pass.
* There are many shooting stars in rock and roll but there are even more flame outs. What does it take to survive and prosper once the music dies? Find out when we catch up with Greg Kihn, the Bay Area's #1 disc jockey. Kihn had a #1 hit in the early 1980's with the "Break up Song" and then a #2 smash with "Jeopardy." Kihn would have faded from the scene but his career flourished when he made the switch from writing music to playing it on the radio.
* Are we alone in the universe? For more than 20 years, Astronomer Jill Tarter has been searching the cosmos for an answer to that question. Director of the Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Tarter operates the Allen Telescope Array, a massive listening device that searches distant galaxies for a signal that will confirm extraterrestrial intelligence exists.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 30, 2014 -- 1:00 AM
Emma Prush Farm Park/Luis Valdez (Episode #405H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 22, 2014 -- 7:00 PM
This week we are visiting the Emma Prusch Farm Park, not far from downtown San Jose. This was an actual working farm from 1870 until 1969. The Farm is now run by the City of San Jose and the Department of Parks and Recreation. It's a great place to bring kids and learn about life on a farm. We're going play with some animals and we'll learn about some really interesting gardening projects going on here.
We'll also meet playwright and film director Luis Valdez, the man behind the camera for the films Zoot Suit and La Bamba. Valdez spent part of his childhood not far from here as a migrant farm worker. We'll also meet activist and attorney Carol Ruth Silver. During the early days of the Civil Rights Movement she was one of the original Freedom Riders.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jan 28, 2014 -- 12:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Sat, Jan 25, 2014 -- 2:30 PM
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 23, 2014 -- 1:00 AM
History (Episode #209)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 15, 2014 -- 7:00 PM
* Eddie Prewitt, former member of the CCC - 96-year-old Ernie Pruitt is a former member of Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps. He and his father helped supervise the building of Pinnacles National Park. Both men were born on the land adjacent to what would become Pinnacles thanks to Pruitt's Grandmother, who homesteaded the property in 1860.
* Anthony Powell, Buffalo Soldier expert - Powell became interested in the Buffalo Soldiers while listening to stories at his grandfather's knee. He tells us their history as he heard it from his grandfather and many other Buffalo Soldiers.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jan 21, 2014 -- 12:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Sat, Jan 18, 2014 -- 2:30 PM
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 16, 2014 -- 1:00 AM
Winchester Mystery House (Episode #310)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 8, 2014 -- 7:00 PM
This is Us visits the Winchester Mystery House and profiles Charlie Sammut, a former police officer who is now one of the top animal trainers in show business. Charlie's best four-legged pal Josef was the MGM lion, the Dreyfus lion, and the model for Disney's Lion King. Also profiled are Greg Kihn, the Bay Area's top disc jockey, and artist Scott Weaver who has re-created the city of San Francisco in toothpicks.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jan 14, 2014 -- 12:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 9, 2014 -- 1:00 AM
Trail Blazers (Episode #412H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Jan 7, 2014 -- 12:29 AM
This is Us introduces three amazing trail blazers. Meet 92 year-old Yosh Uchida, head judo coach at San Jose State University for more than 60 years. In 1964 Uchida represented the U.S. as team coach of the first Olympic Judo Tournament. Now a very successful local entrepreneur, Uchida continues to coach the Spartans to the Olympics. Russell Baze - As a professional jockey, Russell Baze holds the record for the most wins in North American horse racing history. Terry Rinehart - One of America's first female commercial airline pilots, Terry Rinehart's perseverance and hard work enabled her to achieve her childhood dream.
Swing, Sailors and the Ukulele (Episode #509H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 11:30 PM
* This week internationally known ukulele maker Tony Garziano shows us how to make a ukulele.
* We'll also go sailing with this country's most successful sailor, John Kostecki. John is an Olympic medal winner and 2-time Yachtsman of the Year. Currently he's the tactician sailing aboard TEAM USA's America's Cup defending championship boat.
* Then it's time to dust off your dancing shoes, and take a lesson from the US Champion Swing Dance team of Kurt Senser and Heather Powers.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 2, 2014 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 2, 2014 -- 1:00 AM