This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Martha Speaks Previous Broadcasts
Martha Bakes/Martha Makes Scents (Episode #131H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 5:00 PM
* Martha Bakes - Helen is sad when her drawing doesn't win the art competition, so Mom decides to bake her a cake to cheer her up. But when a last-minute order comes in at the flower shop, Martha and Skits decide to take over. Do two dogs with no thumbs (and a cookbook) have what it takes to bake?
* Martha Makes Scents - Always on the lookout for a way to avoid bathing, Martha decides TD's dad OG should invent a perfume that will cover up her doggy scent. After a few tries, he concocts the perfect pooch perfume. So why is Martha begging for a bath?
- PBS Kids: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
Cora! Cora! Cora!/Cora Encore! (Episode #409H)
PBS Kids: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 9:30 AM
Cora! Cora! Cora! - Helen's family friend Kit Luntanne (Jennifer Westfeldt) is upset. She's had to leave her lovable dog, Cora, at home while she travels with her acting troupe. Backstage at the theater, Martha meets Ham Johnson (Jon Hamm), an actor who admires Kit and wants to impress her. Together they hatch a plan to reunite Kit with her dog. What could possibly go wrong? Vocabulary: (E) admire, reunite, ambition, famous, audition. Cora Encore! - Confusion ensues as Martha and Ham cross paths with a troupe of circus dogs who all look exactly like Cora. Can our heroes find the real Cora before she's sent off to perform in the big top? Or before Kit finds out about the mess they've made? Vocabulary: (E) actress, stash, bold, chaos, understudy.
- PBS Kids: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 2:00 PM
Billy Collins Speaks/Milo's Reading Buddy (Episode #401H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 5:00 PM
Billy Collins Speaks - Billy Collins writes great poems about dogs, and Martha thinks she knows why. Obviously, the former poet laureate must be a canine himself! When Martha meets Billy Collins she's in for a few surprises...as is he. Vocabulary: (E) poem, poet, prose, imposter, metaphor(ically). Milo's Reading Buddy - When Milo reads in front of other people he gets nervous. T.D. has the perfect, confidence-building solution: a Reading Buddy! The whole gang gets excited about helping Milo. Maybe too excited. Can Milo find the Reading Buddy who's perfect for him? Vocabulary: (E) fluent, struggle, apprehensive, interject, nervous.
- PBS Kids: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 7:00 AM
- PBS Kids: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 -- 1:30 AM
- PBS Kids: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
TD and the Steak Tree/TD and Martha Gopher Broke (Episode #128H)
PBS Kids: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 9:30 AM
* TD and the Steak Tree - TD gets hoodwinked by Weaselgraft and Pablum into buying a steak tree. He's sure if he takes good care of it, soon he'll be harvesting freshly blossomed steaks. But when the buds open to reveal flowers instead of sirloins, TD has to think fast before he's humiliated in front of his friends.
* TD and Martha Gopher Broke - Martha, TD, and TD's dad spend the weekend at CK's farm, trying to keep a gopher from eating all the crops. After many failed schemes to catch the gluttonous gopher, they realize the best way to keep him from eating the crops is by offering him a better meal elsewhere!
- PBS Kids: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 2:00 PM
Martha Speaks Martha's Dirty Habit/Helen's All Thumbs (Episode #130H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 5:00 PM
* Martha's Dirty Habit - Every spring, Martha gets an urge to dig that she just can't control. When Martha's habit gets her in trouble with the whole neighborhood, the family decides they need to put her desire to dig to good use.
* Helen's All Thumbs - Ronald gives Helen his old gamekid, and pretty soon she's hooked! She forgets to walk Martha, neglects her homework, and becomes completely preoccupied. When Helen forgets to feed Martha and Skits again, and misses the fieldtrip because she forgot her permission slip, she turns to Martha for help. Can Helen break the habit?
- PBS Kids: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 7:00 AM
- PBS Kids: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 -- 1:30 AM
- PBS Kids: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
Martha in the Doghouse/Martha Models (Episode #127H)
PBS Kids: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 9:30 AM
* Martha in the Doghouse - Martha just wants a nice quiet place to take a nap. All she needs is for everybody to be quiet for, oh, 16 hours a day. Is that too much to ask? Helen and the gang try to help by designing a doghouse for Martha.
* Martha Models - Carolina is over the moon when she finds out that Mindy Munchhausen, host of "Operation Catwalk," will be judging Wagstaff City's dog costume parade. She teams up with Helen to design outfits for Martha and Skits, sure that this will be her big break. Is Carolina on her way to Fashion Avenue?
- PBS Kids: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 2:00 PM
Virtually Martha/Martha Vs. Robot (Episode #129H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Jan 28, 2013 -- 5:00 PM
* Virtually Martha - While playing with Alice's laptop computer, Martha accidentally hits the wrong button and gets zapped inside! Will Helen figure out a way to get her out of there before those marauding video monsters gobble her up?
* Martha vs. Robot - Alice's family gets a robotic pet called Dynamo who can do everything a real dog can do and help you with your math homework. Martha decides to show that she's even more perfect than the perfect pet, so Helen won't replace her with a mechanical mutt. If that fails, can she work with Nelson to get rid of Dynamo?
- PBS Kids: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 7:00 AM
- PBS Kids: Tue, Jan 29, 2013 -- 1:30 AM
- PBS Kids: Mon, Jan 28, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
Skits under the Weather/Martha the Weather Dog (Episode #126H)
PBS Kids: Mon, Jan 28, 2013 -- 9:30 AM
* Skits under the Weather - Martha and Skits hate the sound of thunder. One day Skits gets fed up and tries to outrun the storm, but soon discovers that all roads somehow lead back home.
* Martha the Weather Dog - Windy McCloud, Wagstaff City's meteorologist, wants Martha to be her weather dog. Martha's thrilled that she'll be able to change the weather to suit Helen and her friends, until she finds out she's not going to make the weather, she's going to predict it. But all her predictions are way off. What should she tell Windy?