This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Martha Speaks Previous Broadcasts
Martha Doesn't Speak Monkey!/Martha and Truman Get Lost (Episode #117H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 5:00 PM
* Martha Doesn't Speak Monkey! - Professor Monkey is coming to town to promote his craft books with co-author Beppo. But his directions to the bookstore end up under Bob the dog's fiercely guarded porch. Can Martha help Professor Monkey find the bookstore before Beppo turns in her banana suit?
* Martha and Truman Get Lost - Truman needs Martha to help him find something he lost at Dog Head Lake. The only problem is he won't tell Martha what they're looking for because he's too embarrassed. After getting lost deep in the forest and coming face-to-face with his fears, Truman learns a valuable lesson about himself and his . . . whatsit.
- PBS Kids: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
Oh, Noooo!/Bye, Martha (Episode #110H)
PBS Kids: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 9:30 AM
* Oh, Noooo! - Granny Flo's Alphabet Soup is taking a licking from the competition, Oodles of Os. If Granny Flo goes out of business, how will Martha communicate? To increase sales, Helen, Martha, and T. D. set out to convince Granny Flo to advertise on the popular TV show, International Icon. Who will Granny Flo choose as a spokesperson? Vocabulary - (E) deceive(ing), honest(ly), dishonest, mislead(ing), popular (I) trust(ing), believe(able), fooling, right, wrong, ad(vertise)(ment).
* Bye, Martha - Nefarious con artist Weaselgraft hatches a scheme to kidnap Martha by pretending to be Martha's long-lost owner . . . from Poland. The family sniffs something suspicious, but why has Martha suddenly begun speaking Polish? Will they really have to say pozegnalny to Martha? Vocabulary - (E) deny, admit, claim, false, translate (I) switch(ed) (ing), mistake, trick, fraud.
- PBS Kids: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
Raiders of the Lost Art/Martha Says It with Flowers (Episode #116H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 -- 5:00 PM
* Raiders of the Lost Art - After TD passes in the wrong drawing in art class (a caricature of his art teacher instead of a perfectly good drawing of the back of Chuck Smith's head), he panics. With Truman and Martha keeping an eye out for the janitor, Helen and TD sneak into the school after hours to switch the drawings. But will they get caught, or worse still, eaten by a desert mountain snow wolf?
* Martha Says It with Flowers - Martha always seems to do the wrong thing around Grandma Lucille. To prove that she's really considerate, she decides to do something really special for Grandma's birthday. But finding the perfect present for a human is a lot harder than it looks.
- PBS Kids: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 7:00 AM
- PBS Kids: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- PBS Kids: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
Martha The Hero Maker/Starstruck Martha (Episode #112H)
PBS Kids: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 -- 9:30 AM
* Martha the Hero Maker - Martha has an idea for a thrilling adventure story, so Truman, T.D., and Helen decide to draw it for her. Much to Martha's dismay, they all add their own special touches, including peanut butter, a ground squirrel, and the Incredible Exo-Skeleton-of-Wow. But when life imitates art, things get a little too exciting! Vocabulary - (E) thrill(ing), hero, villain, astonish, humongous (I) boring, exciting, adventure, incredible, amazing, dull.
* Starstruck Martha - Martha is thrilled when she hears Courageous Collie Carlo is coming to town. But when Martha unexpectedly reveals how uncourageous Carlo really is, she has to help him save his reputation or Carlo's TV career could be history. Vocabulary - (E) ecstatic, embarrass, enthusiastic, eager, reputation (I) fear, excited, glad, upset, fan.
- PBS Kids: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
Martha Ain't Nothin' But A Pound Dog, Part 1 & Part 2 (Episode #115H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 -- 5:00 PM
* Martha Ain't Nothin' but a Pound Dog, Part 1 - Martha loses her collar and winds up in the animal shelter. She leads an escape attempt, only to find that freedom isn't much without a family. (1st of two parts). Vocabulary - (E) abandon, deserted, neglected, overlooked, (un) fortunate (I) alone, forgot, harsh, lonely, tough, rough.
* Martha Ain't Nothin' but a Pound Dog, Part 2 - When Martha's family comes to take her home, she decides she can't leave her shelter friends behind. Adopting that many dogs is out of the question, so Martha, Helen, and TD cook up a plan to find families for the pound pooches. (2nd of two parts). Vocabulary - (E) adopt, affection, devoted, embrace, loyal. (I) adore, belong, care, dream, hope.