This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Martha Speaks Previous Broadcasts
The Penguin Always Rings Twice/The Martha Code (Episode #204H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 -- 5:30 PM
* The Penguin Always Rings Twice - Someone keeps stealing the zoo's peanut supply. All clues point to Jeffy the elephant, but Martha and Skits are determined to prove his innocence. Can their crack crime-fighting team - a lemur, a bat, a penguin, a baby tiger, and Jeffy - help them outwit the thieves? Vocabulary: (E) mystery, clue, culprit, hunch, motive (I) first, second, next, last, after.
* The Martha Code - After Martha accidentally eats a secret code, it's really, really hard to understand what she's saying. Now Martha's lost and she's leaving Helen coded phone messages. Can Helen break the code and find out where she is? Vocabulary: (E) code, decipher, message, gibberish, arbitrary (I) (un) break(able), crack, secret(s), key, figure out.
- KQED Kids: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 -- 10:30 PM
Martha's Chair/Td The Pack Rat (Episode #201H)
KQED Kids: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 -- 2:00 PM
* Martha's Chair - Martha's family has a birthday surprise - a new dog bed! After a few sleepless nights, the family realizes that Martha misses her stinky old chair. But Mrs. Demson bought it and has plans of her own for the chair after she sees one just like it on Antiques Roadshow. Vocabulary: (E) antique, donate(d), upholstery, profit(ed), valuable.(I) furniture, worth(less), rich, cost, clean(ing)(ed)(ers).
* TD the Pack Rat - TD has too much junk! TD's mom makes him an offer: He can keep everything he has, as long as he doesn't bring anything else home. Does TD have the willpower? Vocabulary: (E) worthless, rubbish, clutter, salvage(d), priceless, perspective(s)(I) garbage, junk, collect(ion), keep, sell.
Martha Puts Out The Lights (Pts. 1 & 2) (Episode #203H)
KQED Kids: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 -- 4:30 AM
* Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 1 - For Martha and the other dogs, Saturday night fireworks are the worst part of summer, and Mrs. Demson couldn't agree more. In fact, she's trying to get people to sign a petition to ban fireworks. Can Martha get enough signatures to make summer less scary for dogs? Vocabulary: (E) petition, illegal, cause, picket(ing), goal, ban(ning) (ed), protest(ing) (I) sign(ning) (ed), ask(ing), "on strike".
* Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 2 - Helen and her friends are devastated about the fireworks ban. Martha realizes that she helped Mrs. Demson ruin their fun, but can she find a way to reverse the ban and still protect her sensitive ears? Vocabulary: (E) purpose, signature(s), unite, majority, prohibit(ed) (I) fireworks, summer, write, support(ed).
- KQED Kids: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 -- 6:00 AM