This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Martha Speaks Previous Broadcasts
There Goes The Neighborhood/I Scream (Episode #122H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Mar 30, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* There Goes the Neighborhood - Martha can't believe that Helen and Alice are making such a fuss about a kitten. Everyone knows kittens are not to be tolerated. But could this kitten be different?
* Ice Scream - Alice is shocked to discover that Truman has never actually tried ice cream. Alice thinks deciding you won't like ice cream without trying it is, well, prejudiced! Can Helen and TD find a compromise that satisfies Alice but doesn't force Truman to give in to peer pressure?
Itchy Martha/Martha and the Thief of Hearts (Episode #121H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Mar 29, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Itchy Martha - Martha can't keep her paws away from her itchy ear mites. Until they're gone, she has to wear a cone on her head to keep her from scratching. Martha hates the cone; it gets in the way and makes everything sound weird. Worse than that, it terrifies Jake. Will Martha have to live in the cellar until she gets better?
* Martha and the Thief of Hearts - The gang decides to make homemade valentines for each other. But when everybody's art supplies begin disappearing, their affectionate mood begins to fade. Can Martha solve the mystery of the stolen supplies?
Martha Runs The Store, Part 1 & Part 2 (Episode #120H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Mar 28, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Martha Runs the Store, Part 1 - Skits and Martha are feeling desperate while they wait in the broiling sun for Helen to finish shopping. Fed up, Skits decides to follow the cool air into the store, and Martha has to follow to get him out. What are they going to do now that they're stuck in the bathroom and the store is about to close?
* Martha Runs the Store, Part 2 - Helen can't find Martha and Skits anywhere. Little does she know, they're trapped inside the darkened department store, trying to find the exit . . . when they aren't distracted by the comfy beds, overflowing garbage cans, and automatic tennis-ball shooter. Will they find their way out before it's time to blow out Mom's birthday candles?
April Fools/Bully for You! (Episode #605H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Mar 27, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
April Fools: It's April Fools Day in Wagstaff City and T.D., the King of Pranks, is...too busy to plan pranks? He's preoccupied with an invitation to receive an award from the Wagstaff City Genius Society. Martha smells deception, but will T.D. catch on before it's too late? Vocabulary: (E) convince, dupe, ploy, prank, ruse. Bully For You!: A ferocious new pooch has the neighborhood dogs' fur on end. Martha may never go outside again. Even Skits is spooked. Can anyone neutralize this bully's bark? Vocabulary: (E) harass, intimidate, pick(ing) on, reluctant, tease.
Martha Speaks Martha Gets Spooked/Martha Changes Her Luck (Episode #119H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Mar 24, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Martha Gets Spooked - Is someone fixing up the haunted house? If not, who ordered those flowers? Was it the ghost of Mrs. Parkington's Great-Aunt Martha? Whoever or whatever it was, Martha has to go in there to protect Helen, before it's too late!
* Martha Changes Her Luck - Uh-oh. Martha walked under a ladder-and broke a mirror-so now she thinks she's jinxed. And she's worried her bad luck is rubbing off on everybody else. Helen tries to explain that all the accidents are just coincidence, but things just keep getting worse.
Best In Show/Truman on the Ball (Episode #118H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Mar 23, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Best in Show - Carolina decides to enter Francois in the dog show, and Helen just can't help herself. She has to enter Martha, too, so she can show Carolina who the true champion really is. A little competition between cousins isn't a bad thing, or is it?
* Truman on the Ball - Why does Truman want to become a hobo and/or join the circus? Is he actually trying to run away? Maybe it has something to do with tomorrow's softball game, and the fact that Truman can't actually catch the ball. Can Martha and Alice help?
Martha Doesn't Speak Monkey!/Martha and Truman Get Lost (Episode #117H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Mar 22, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Martha Doesn't Speak Monkey! - Professor Monkey is coming to town to promote his craft books with co-author Beppo. But his directions to the bookstore end up under Bob the dog's fiercely guarded porch. Can Martha help Professor Monkey find the bookstore before Beppo turns in her banana suit?
* Martha and Truman Get Lost - Truman needs Martha to help him find something he lost at Dog Head Lake. The only problem is he won't tell Martha what they're looking for because he's too embarrassed. After getting lost deep in the forest and coming face-to-face with his fears, Truman learns a valuable lesson about himself and his . . . whatsit.
Raiders of the Lost Art/Martha Says It with Flowers (Episode #116H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Mar 21, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Raiders of the Lost Art - After TD passes in the wrong drawing in art class (a caricature of his art teacher instead of a perfectly good drawing of the back of Chuck Smith's head), he panics. With Truman and Martha keeping an eye out for the janitor, Helen and TD sneak into the school after hours to switch the drawings. But will they get caught, or worse still, eaten by a desert mountain snow wolf?
* Martha Says It with Flowers - Martha always seems to do the wrong thing around Grandma Lucille. To prove that she's really considerate, she decides to do something really special for Grandma's birthday. But finding the perfect present for a human is a lot harder than it looks.
Martha Ain't Nothin' But A Pound Dog, Part 1 & Part 2 (Episode #115H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Mar 20, 2017 -- 6:00 PM
* Martha Ain't Nothin' but a Pound Dog, Part 1 - Martha loses her collar and winds up in the animal shelter. She leads an escape attempt, only to find that freedom isn't much without a family. (1st of two parts). Vocabulary - (E) abandon, deserted, neglected, overlooked, (un) fortunate (I) alone, forgot, harsh, lonely, tough, rough.
* Martha Ain't Nothin' but a Pound Dog, Part 2 - When Martha's family comes to take her home, she decides she can't leave her shelter friends behind. Adopting that many dogs is out of the question, so Martha, Helen, and TD cook up a plan to find families for the pound pooches. (2nd of two parts). Vocabulary - (E) adopt, affection, devoted, embrace, loyal. (I) adore, belong, care, dream, hope.