Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
WordWorld Previous Broadcasts
Duck Saves Spider's Web/Caterpillar Gets A Home (Episode #202H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Aug 30, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Duck Saves Spider's Web - When Duck accidentally crashes into Spider's web and breaks it apart into letters, he has to go about finding the letters to fix it. But he doesn't know what letters are in the word 'web'! With Elephant's help, he learns that sometimes if you can sound out a word, you can figure out what letters you need to build it.
* Caterpillar Gets a Home - Duck makes a new friend on a windy, rainy day: Caterpillar. It soon becomes apparent that Caterpillar needs a home to protect her from the elements. Together she and Duck learn to sound out some words which might make suitable homes, such as bag, can and box. But which one will be just right?
My Fuzzy Valentine/Love, Bug (Episode #201H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Aug 29, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* My Fuzzy Valentine - Bug wants to sign a valentine for his favorite WordFriend, but he doesn't know how to write his name. With lots of encouragement from Frog, he learns that with a little practice he can write his name and give his valentine.
* Love, Bug - When Sheep decides she wants to make a special Valentine song for her pal Bear, she has trouble finding just the right rhyme to finish her song. With the help of Fly, she discovers the perfect rhyme and makes Bear a Valentine song with real heart.
A Kooky Spooky Halloween/Sheep's Halloween Costume (Episode #126H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Aug 28, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* A Kooky Spooky Halloween - The WordFriends get their share of scares the night before Halloween, when Pig sleepwalks and everyone thinks he's a ghost!
* Sheep's Halloween Costume - It's Halloween - Sheep's favorite day of the year. Sheep likes nothing more than to dress up, so she always goes out of her way to make herself a special costume. But what will she do when her WordFriends need pieces of her costume for their own costumes?
The Christmas Star/A Christmas Present for Dog (Episode #125H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Aug 27, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* The Christmas Star - It's the night before Christmas and Frog needs a star to hang on his Christmas tree. Duck thinks this will be the perfect present for Frog, and tries to lasso one out of the sky for him. Try as he might, Duck is unable to catch a star for Frog, and cries himself to sleep. But while he sleeps, someone leaves him a wonderful present: the letters S-T-A-R...
* A Christmas Present for Dog - It's Christmas morning, and all the WordFriends are excited by the presents Santa has brought for them! Pig has a sled, Bear has a doll and Ant has a cookie. But not all the letters for Dog's present came down his chimney. All he has is a B-A-L. Bear gets filled with the Christmas spirit and makes a sacrifice to ensure Dog's Christmas will be merry!
The Lost Letter L/Catch That C! (Episode #124H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Aug 26, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* The Lost Letter L - When Duck accidentally breaks the L off Frog's lamp, he decides not to tell Frog. Instead, he'll just fix it himself. Although Bug and Dog try to help, things spiral out of control, and soon Duck has broken a lamp, a lever and even Frog's log! Duck learns that everyone makes mistakes and admitting them sooner rather than later can make a big difference.
* Catch that C! - While Pig and Ant are making cookies, their bag of letter C's gets away from them, sending the WordFriends on a wild goose chase all over WordWorld to catch that C! The bad news is that the letter C is in big demand that day. But the good news is that Pig and Ant have a lot of WordFriends who want to help them out!
Flying Ant/The Dancing Duck Bonanza (Episode #123H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Aug 23, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Flying Ant - WordWorld is all abuzz - today is the Insect Air Show! All the bugs in WordWorld take to the sky to show off their flying skills. All the insects, that is, except Ant, who can't fly. But Ant is a smart, industrious WordFriend, and with the help of his best pal Pig, he finds just the right word to give him the lift he needs to be the hit of the show.
* The Dancing Duck Bonanza - Duck encourages Shark, who is a great underwater dancer, to dance in his show. When Shark comes up on land to practice, he flops all over the stage like a... well, a fish out of water. But the show must go on! Duck must find a way to put on his show and include Shark.
Play Ball/M Is for Map (Episode #122H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Aug 22, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Play Ball! - The WordFriends play an exciting game of baseball, but Robot has never played before. With some practice, and a lot of encouragement from his WordFriends, Robot learns the game and turns into a slugging machine!
* M is for Map - After a fun day of adventuring through the jungle, Sheep and Bear discover they are lost - and it's almost dark! In their haste to get home before sunset, the WordFriends lose the letters to their map. They have to sound out and hunt down the letters in "map" - but with Adventure Sheep leading the way, nothing is ever easy!