Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
WordWorld Previous Broadcasts
A String's The Thing/J-J-Jelly (Episode #301H)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 20, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
A String's the Thing - After Duck accidentally turns on Frog's new cake frosting machine, the WordFriends must find the right "ing" word to stop it from covering WordWorld in delicious frosting. J-J-Jelly - Pig asks Bear and Sheep to help him make jars for the jelly pumping from his jelly machine. However, when they aren't able to make jars fast enough, the kitchen quickly begins filling up with the purple, oozy treat! Only by working together are the friends able to find a way to contain all of the jiggling jelly.
Bear's Bed Sled/Sh-Sh-Shark! (Episode #214H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 17, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Bear's Bed Sled - Bear is excited about sledding on the first day of snow, but her plans change when she hurts her toe and is unable to ride her sled. It's up to her friends to come up with a solution that will let Bear stay in bed and go sledding at the same time.
* Sh-Sh-Shark! - Shark is misunderstood. Everyone is afraid of him and won't even give him a chance to prove he's friendly. Everyone but Duck, that is, who doesn't know that the letters s and h together make the 'sh' sound, and therefore doesn't know who Shark is. When Duck introduces his new friend "Sh-ark" to the gang, Duck learns a lesson about the /sh/ sound, while everyone else discovers that acceptance is an important part of friendship.
Welcome Home, Duck/The Lost Letter L (Episode #213H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 16, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Welcome Home, Duck - Frog, excited about Duck's return from a long vacation, makes a "Welcome Home" banner to hang over Duck's nest. Problem is, the dock connecting Frog's log to Duck's nest has broken, so Frog has to find another way across. Frog tries building a sock and a block to replace the dock, but it's not until he builds a rock that he can land on, halfway across the pond, that he's able to get across the water to duck's nest.
* The Lost Letter L - When Duck accidentally breaks the L off Frog's lamp, he decides not to tell Frog. Instead, he'll just fix it himself. Although Bug and Dog try to help, things spiral out of control, and soon Duck has broken a lamp, a lever and even Frog's log! Duck learns that everyone makes mistakes and admitting them sooner rather than later can make a big difference.
Dog's Having A Party/Dog Wants to Play Ball (Episode #212H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 15, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Dog's Having a Party - Dog and Duck want to throw a house party at Dog's house. But all they have is the letter H, and they don't know what to do with it! With the help of Sheep they soon realize that H is a fabulous letter; with it they can make hotdogs, hats, hula-hoops and a great party indeed. Hurray!
* Dog Wants to Play Ball - Dog wants to play ball, but he's having trouble communicating with his friends because they won't stop and listen to him.
Totally Terrific Duck/A Star Is Born (Episode #211H)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 14, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Totally Terrific Duck - Totally Terrific Duck - Bear is going to paint everyone's picture today, and Duck wants to look "totally terrific" for his portrait. Not to worry! Frog and Sheep help him build a tie, top hat and tutu - because if you want to look totally terrific you need the letter T. A tie, top hat and tutu? Now that's one totally, totally, Totally terrific looking Duck!
* A Star is Born - Duck gets a case of stage fright while singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" for all his WordFriends. Instead of singing the word "star," Duck freezes and blurts out the first thing he sees. With a little word building, Sheep and Ant solve Duck's problem, and soon a "star" is born.
Bed Bugs/Snug As A Bug (Episode #210H)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 13, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Bed Bugs - When the bugs accidentally break Frog's brand new bed, they scramble to put it back together and make things right. Just one problem. They can't tell the letters 'b' and 'd' apart! Can they figure out which letter is which - and rebuild Frog's bed - before Frog returns home?
* Snug as a Bug - Frog helps insomniac Bug figure out the end of the rhyme "snug as a bug in a ..." so that Bug can sleep.
The Best Nest/Duck's Family Reunion (Episode #209H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 10, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* The Best Nest - It's Duck's turn at show and tell at school, and he wants to bring the thing he loves the best: his nest! But when the nest breaks apart into letters, will Duck be able to retrieve them all in time?
* Duck's Family Reunion - Because they have a similar sounding name, Duck mistakes Truck for a long-lost relative! Frog is a bit ruffled at the epidemic of silliness going around, but ends up saving the day for Duck and his word 'family'.
Duck at Bat/You Can Never Have Too Many Oo's (Episode #208H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 9, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
Duck loses the letter B to his baseball bat and tries to build other words to hit the ball.
Shark's First Day of School/Shark's First Loose Tooth (Episode #207H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 8, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Shark's First Day of School - It's the first day of school for the youngest WordFriends, but Shark is afraid to go. With the help of his good buddy Duck, and some gentle encouragement from their teacher Cat, Shark's fear turns to confidence, and by day's end he's at the head of the class.
* Shark's First Loose Tooth - When Shark loses his first baby tooth at a sleepover party with Duck, he's got to get to sleep fast so the tooth fairy can come and leave him a present. But there's just one problem-he can't fall asleep! With the help of his good friend Duck and the letter P, Shark finally finds just the word he needs to help him fall asleep.
Get Well Soon Soup/Mmm-Mmm-Milk! (Episode #205H)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 7, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Get Well Soon Soup - When Ant gets sick, Pig tries to take care of him by making his special Get-Well-Soon Soup. It has all the letters in the alphabet in it, so Pig can build any word that Ant needs to feel better. Pig just has to figure out what that word is!
* Mmm-mmm-milk! - When Ant comes over to Pig's house to eat cookies, Pig tries to get him to drink some milk. But Ant doesn't like milk! Or so he thinks...
Get Set for "Et"/Duck Plays The Piano (Episode #206H)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 6, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Get Set For "ET" - While sky-writing in his jet, Duck accidentally makes a cloud Dragon! Thinking it's a real dragon, Duck and the bugs set out to "catch" the dragon and "save" WordWorld. But how do you catch something made from clouds?
* Duck's Piano Lesson - When Bug, Bee and Fly keep interrupting Duck's piano lesson, Duck learns that some things are worth waiting for. He also learns that when a word has lots of sounds in it, you can build it sound by sound.
Duck's Hiccups/A.... A.... Choo! (Episode #204H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 3, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Duck's Hiccups - When Duck drinks down a glass of water too quickly, he gets the hiccups for the first time ever! His WordFriends try every trick in the book to help him, but which cure will work?
*A...a...choo! - Pig is allergic to peaches! Too bad Sheep doesn't know that! When she brings Pig a big bag of peaches to make pies, Pig starts sneezing so much that he can't even tell Sheep what he really needs is a...a...apples. Sheep tries to guess what Pig needs, imagining a silly array of a-sounding words!
Bugs to the Rescue/Sheep's First Bike Ride (Episode #203H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 2, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Bugs to the Rescue - Ant builds Bear a hot-air balloon for her birthday, but Dog accidentally floats away in it! Ant elicits the help of his insect WordFriends Bug, Bee and Fly to rescue Dog and save the day.
* Sheep's First Bike Ride - Bear and Sheep both learn to build the word "bike," and Sheep learns how to ride one for the first time in her life. In both cases, it just takes some perseverance.
Duck Saves Spider's Web/Caterpillar Gets A Home (Episode #202H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 1, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
* Duck Saves Spider's Web - When Duck accidentally crashes into Spider's web and breaks it apart into letters, he has to go about finding the letters to fix it. But he doesn't know what letters are in the word 'web'! With Elephant's help, he learns that sometimes if you can sound out a word, you can figure out what letters you need to build it.
* Caterpillar Gets a Home - Duck makes a new friend on a windy, rainy day: Caterpillar. It soon becomes apparent that Caterpillar needs a home to protect her from the elements. Together she and Duck learn to sound out some words which might make suitable homes, such as bag, can and box. But which one will be just right?
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.