Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
WordWorld Previous Broadcasts
Duck Saves Spider's Web/Caterpillar Gets A Home (Episode #202H)
KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 18, 2014 -- 6:00 AM
* Duck Saves Spider's Web - When Duck accidentally crashes into Spider's web and breaks it apart into letters, he has to go about finding the letters to fix it. But he doesn't know what letters are in the word 'web'! With Elephant's help, he learns that sometimes if you can sound out a word, you can figure out what letters you need to build it.
* Caterpillar Gets a Home - Duck makes a new friend on a windy, rainy day: Caterpillar. It soon becomes apparent that Caterpillar needs a home to protect her from the elements. Together she and Duck learn to sound out some words which might make suitable homes, such as bag, can and box. But which one will be just right?
My Fuzzy Valentine/Love, Bug (Episode #201H)
KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 11, 2014 -- 6:00 AM
* My Fuzzy Valentine - Bug wants to sign a valentine for his favorite WordFriend, but he doesn't know how to write his name. With lots of encouragement from Frog, he learns that with a little practice he can write his name and give his valentine.
* Love, Bug - When Sheep decides she wants to make a special Valentine song for her pal Bear, she has trouble finding just the right rhyme to finish her song. With the help of Fly, she discovers the perfect rhyme and makes Bear a Valentine song with real heart.
Duck's Hiccups/A.... A.... Choo! (Episode #204H)
KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 4, 2014 -- 6:00 AM
* Duck's Hiccups - When Duck drinks down a glass of water too quickly, he gets the hiccups for the first time ever! His WordFriends try every trick in the book to help him, but which cure will work?
*A...a...choo! - Pig is allergic to peaches! Too bad Sheep doesn't know that! When she brings Pig a big bag of peaches to make pies, Pig starts sneezing so much that he can't even tell Sheep what he really needs is a...a...apples. Sheep tries to guess what Pig needs, imagining a silly array of a-sounding words!