Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
WordWorld Previous Broadcasts
Playing Spies/Wee Little Whale (Episode #118H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Mar 7, 2014 -- 9:30 AM
* Playing Spies: When Sheep and Duck think that Dog has a secret, they decide to play "spy" to figure out the mystery. As they secretly watch Dog, they discover he wants to build a word with the "oo" sound. But will they be caught before they can guess Dog's secret?
* Wee Little Whale: Sheep rescues a tiny whale who is stuck in some seaweed and brings her home to her haystack. They quickly become best of friends. But as Whale gets bigger and bigger, outgrowing Sheep's tea cups, bathtubs and pools, Sheep realizes she must return her WordFriend to the sea. Although Whale may be big, her friendship with Sheep proves to be bigger, and the two discover a way to continue to play together: They just have to build a word!
Superhero Sheep/Pirate Ship (Episode #117H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Mar 6, 2014 -- 9:30 AM
* Superhero Sheep: Sheep becomes Word World's first superhero, saving the day with the letter "S"! Duck is eager to be her trusty sidekick, but Sheep repeatedly points out that "superheroes don't need help." But Sheep learns that everyone needs help sometimes when she gets stuck on top of Pig's barn and it's up to Duck to save her.
* Pirate Ship: While playing on the beach, Sheep, Duck and Shark find a message in a bottle. It's one of several rhyming clues that will lead them to a special treasure! Like hearty pirates, the trio follows the clues and rhyme their way across the sea-if only they had a ship!
Castles in the Sea/Get Your Coat (Episode #116H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Mar 5, 2014 -- 9:30 AM
* Castles in the Sea: While playing in the sand on the beach, Duck and Shark discover the perfect home for Shark: a sand castle! But why, oh why, does it disappear every night while Shark is sleeping? When the WordFriends try to hunt down the castle thief, they learn about tides and waves...from a singing Crab.
* Get Your Coat: Duck thinks Frog doesn't want to play in the rain because Duck accidentally broke Frog's boat. But the real reason is that Frog doesn't like the rain. Duck learns all about words that end with "oat" before finally coming across a word that will allow Frog to play outside in the rain: a coat!
Pig's Present/Tick Tock Space Clock (Episode #115H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Mar 4, 2014 -- 9:30 AM
* Pig's Present: It's Pig's birthday and his nephews, the Three Little Pigs, are making him a secret present. Although Pig promises not to peek, his curiosity about his present gets the better of him and wreaks havoc all over WordWorld. Will Pig ever learn to be patient?
* Tick Tock Space Clock: When a mysterious rocket lands in Word World, Duck pledges to help a robot track down a very important clock. He searches all over WordWorld, listening for the special sound that will lead the robot to the clock that will save his home planet.
Pl-Pl-Plane/Mail Mix Up (Episode #114H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Mar 3, 2014 -- 9:30 AM
* Pl-Pl-Plane: Frog and the Bug Band are headed to have some fun on the beach, but not everything goes as Frog had planned. Frog loses the letters "PL" from his plane and must search through the jungle to find them. After some crazy jungle adventures (including a run-in with a giant Frog-kissing plant), Frog realizes that fun doesn't always have to be planned!
* Mail Mix Up: Duck offers to help Kangaroo deliver letters to his WordFriends, but he forgets Kangaroo's instructions and delivers the wrong letters to everyone. Duck discovers that there sure are a lot of words that end with the sound "ail"-such as Nail, Pail and Sail - and that they sure can't be used interchangeably!