An all-new special episode spotlights art that connects: Go inside the Mill Valley comedy night that's a local institution and a haven for stars like Dana Carvey and Robin Williams. In San Jose, hundreds of professionals and students perform in a show that mixes traditional Chinese dance, music and martial arts with Western ballet. Follow local bluegrass legend Laurie Lewis as she performs and works to mentor new artists. And watch as Ed Drew revives the art of the tin-type while making images of at-risk youth on an organic garden project that's seeking to redefine the image of farming for African Americans.
Spark! Previous Broadcasts
Del Sol String Quartet, David Hevel, La Familia Pena-Govea (Episode #504H)
KQED Life: Sun, Dec 29, 2013 -- 6:30 PM
* Hear the Del Sol String Quartet rehearse and debut the work of contemporary chamber composers.
* Laugh with sculptor David Hevel as he makes fun of pop culture celebrities with his outrageous animal creations.
* Join La Familia Pena-Govea, the family band where everyone has a part to play in this musical dynasty in the making.
- KQED 9: Tue, Dec 31, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
- KQED Life: Tue, Dec 31, 2013 -- 3:30 AM
- KQED Life: Mon, Dec 30, 2013 -- 9:30 PM
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Shailja Patel, and Ronn Guidi (Episode #501H)
KQED 9: Tue, Dec 24, 2013 -- 7:30 PM
* Meet the Lawrence Ferlinghetti you didn't know - you might already know him as a poet, but did you also know that he's a painter, too?
* Then visit Kenyan-born Indian American Shailja Patel as she performs her spoken word piece about migration and personal history.
* See how Oakland Ballet artistic director Ronn Guidi comes out of retirement to save the dance company he loves.
* And finally see how Rene Garcia Jr.'s glitter portraits shine.