An all-new special episode spotlights art that connects: Go inside the Mill Valley comedy night that's a local institution and a haven for stars like Dana Carvey and Robin Williams. In San Jose, hundreds of professionals and students perform in a show that mixes traditional Chinese dance, music and martial arts with Western ballet. Follow local bluegrass legend Laurie Lewis as she performs and works to mentor new artists. And watch as Ed Drew revives the art of the tin-type while making images of at-risk youth on an organic garden project that's seeking to redefine the image of farming for African Americans.
Spark! Previous Broadcasts
Playwright Carlos Baron, and Other Stories (Episode #508H)
KQED 9: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Head to Chile with playwright Carlos Baron along with his cast of actors, dancers and musicians from "Poeta Pan."
* Visit Yosemite where Julia Parker is helping to revive the art form of basket weaving.
* Get a deeper look at the haunting drawings of Josephine Taylor.
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 24, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED 9: Fri, Nov 23, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
Through The Lens (Episode #302)
KQED 9: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
This episode features artists who use the camera to reveal hidden realities.
* Catherine Wagner, Photographer - Wagner's stark, pristine images present startling new perspectives on the worlds of science,nature, and material culture.
* Kerry Laitala, Film Artist - La itala creates works of handmade cinematic art, one frame at a time.
* Ben Wood, Video Artist - Wood uses digital technology to retrieve and restore a centuries-old mural painted by Indian artists in San Francisco's Mission Dolores.
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 18, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 17, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 17, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED 9: Fri, Nov 16, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Nov 14, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Nov 14, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
Playwright Philip Kan Gotanda, and Other Stories (Episode #507)
KQED 9: Fri, Nov 2, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
* Explore the relationship between jazz and the Japanese American internment with playwright Philip Kan Gotanda and A.C.T.
* See why choreographer and dance educator Janice Garrett is attracting the best local dancers and critical acclaim in the Bay Area dance scene.
* Meet Jess Curtis and his company Gravity as they work on "Under the Radar."
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 4, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 3, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 3, 2012 -- 5:30 AM