This series includes a TV show, segments for "This Week in Northern California", an educational outreach program and a website featuring Bay Area artists and arts organizations. More than a showcase for art objects and the artists who make them, Spark takes the audience inside the creative process to witness the challenges, opportunities and rewards of making art. Produced by KQED TV.
Spark! Previous Broadcasts
Favianna Rodriguez, Ben Levy and Julio Morales (Episode #516H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Favianna Rodriguez is part of a tradition of Chicano graphic artists that dates back to the 60's. A 28-year-old self-taught artist, Rodriguez spent her teen years in Oakland's Fruitvale neighborhood attending free community art workshops. Spark watches as she creates silkscreen and offset posters and follows her to a Day Laborer's Conference to create dialogue around her latest work.
* Though only 5 years old, LEVYdance has made a big splash in the SF dance community. The artistic director Ben Levy, a 29 year old UC Berkeley grad, was named one of the "Top 25 to watch" by Dance Magazine. Levy is choreographing a new work tentatively called "Patterns of Flight", based on the veiled past of his Iranian-Jewish parents. He's collaborating with composer Keeril Makan, couture designer Colleen Quen, and industrial furniture designer Rick Lee.
* Laurie Antonioli is a singer and lyricist, and also a teacher. Last year she returned from a 4 year teaching stint near Vienna. Now heading the vocal department at Berkeley's Jazz School, Laurie is working with a new quartet to rehearse and record her collection of "new standards."
* Artist and Curator Julio Morales explores the confluence of Mexican and US culture in his latest work at Galleria de la Raza.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 30, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Fri, Sep 28, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 28, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Tue, Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
Del Sol String Quartet, David Hevel, La Familia Pena-Govea (Episode #504H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 18, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Hear the Del Sol String Quartet rehearse and debut the work of contemporary chamber composers.
* Laugh with sculptor David Hevel as he makes fun of pop culture celebrities with his outrageous animal creations.
* Join La Familia Pena-Govea, the family band where everyone has a part to play in this musical dynasty in the making.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 23, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 22, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
Crown Point Press, John Santos, Marga Gomez (Episode #503H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Visit the fine print house Crown Point Press and the many famous artists who work there.
* Take a listen as John Santos brings his Latin Jazz orchestra the Machete Ensemble to the stage one last time.
* Get a backstage pass as Marga Gomez launches a one-person show at The Marsh.
* Then meet Manuelito Biag from Shift Physical Theater.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 16, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 15, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
Also on KQED.org this week ...
"The Bay Bridged" Music for June
Listen the The Bay Bridged mix of bands performing live in the Bay Area this month, including The Mantles, Cold Cave, The Spyrals, Blitzen Trapper, Monster Rally, and more. Enjoy the podcast and then go see some concerts!
Obamacare Explained: A Guide for Californians
Starting Jan 1, 2014, most Americans will be required to have health insurance or pay a fine. KQED has created a simple guide to explain how the health law affects you, your family or your small business, here in California.