Produced by KQED, this series is about Bay Area artists and arts organizations. It is a weekly television show, an educational outreach program and a website. More than a showcase for art objects and the artists who make them, SPARK* takes the audience inside the creative process to witness the challenges, opportunities and rewards of making art.
Spark! Previous Broadcasts
Favianna Rodriguez, Ben Levy and Julio Morales (Episode #516H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Favianna Rodriguez is part of a tradition of Chicano graphic artists that dates back to the 60's. A 28-year-old self-taught artist, Rodriguez spent her teen years in Oakland's Fruitvale neighborhood attending free community art workshops. Spark watches as she creates silkscreen and offset posters and follows her to a Day Laborer's Conference to create dialogue around her latest work.
* Though only 5 years old, LEVYdance has made a big splash in the SF dance community. The artistic director Ben Levy, a 29 year old UC Berkeley grad, was named one of the "Top 25 to watch" by Dance Magazine. Levy is choreographing a new work tentatively called "Patterns of Flight", based on the veiled past of his Iranian-Jewish parents. He's collaborating with composer Keeril Makan, couture designer Colleen Quen, and industrial furniture designer Rick Lee.
* Laurie Antonioli is a singer and lyricist, and also a teacher. Last year she returned from a 4 year teaching stint near Vienna. Now heading the vocal department at Berkeley's Jazz School, Laurie is working with a new quartet to rehearse and record her collection of "new standards."
* Artist and Curator Julio Morales explores the confluence of Mexican and US culture in his latest work at Galleria de la Raza.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 30, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Fri, Sep 28, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 28, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Tue, Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
Del Sol String Quartet, David Hevel, La Familia Pena-Govea (Episode #504H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 18, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Hear the Del Sol String Quartet rehearse and debut the work of contemporary chamber composers.
* Laugh with sculptor David Hevel as he makes fun of pop culture celebrities with his outrageous animal creations.
* Join La Familia Pena-Govea, the family band where everyone has a part to play in this musical dynasty in the making.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 23, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 22, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
Crown Point Press, John Santos, Marga Gomez (Episode #503H)
KQED 9: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
* Visit the fine print house Crown Point Press and the many famous artists who work there.
* Take a listen as John Santos brings his Latin Jazz orchestra the Machete Ensemble to the stage one last time.
* Get a backstage pass as Marga Gomez launches a one-person show at The Marsh.
* Then meet Manuelito Biag from Shift Physical Theater.
- KQED Life: Sun, Sep 16, 2012 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Sep 15, 2012 -- 5:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 -- 1:30 AM