An all-new special episode spotlights art that connects: Go inside the Mill Valley comedy night that's a local institution and a haven for stars like Dana Carvey and Robin Williams. In San Jose, hundreds of professionals and students perform in a show that mixes traditional Chinese dance, music and martial arts with Western ballet. Follow local bluegrass legend Laurie Lewis as she performs and works to mentor new artists. And watch as Ed Drew revives the art of the tin-type while making images of at-risk youth on an organic garden project that's seeking to redefine the image of farming for African Americans.
Spark! Previous Broadcasts
Thiebaud, Teng, and Garrett (Episode #701H)
KQED 9: Tue, Aug 26, 2014 -- 7:30 PM
* Spark kicks off its seventh season with a look at the life and work of one of the country's greatest living painters; Wayne Thiebaud. His iconic still lifes pay homage to America's favorite foods, and his insights into the theory of painting have influenced generations of students.
* Next, spend some time with singer-songwriter Vienna Teng, who left a career in Silicon Valley to pursue her dream of making music. In San Francisco for a homecoming concert, Teng plays the "chamber-folk" music that propelled her to fame.
* Then, modern dance choreographer Janice Garrett creates a revealing new work for her company's 5th anniversary season.
- KQED Life: Sun, Aug 31, 2014 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Aug 27, 2014 -- 1:30 AM
Ann Hamilton, Scott Kildall and Enrique Chagoya (Episode #517H)
KQED 9: Tue, Aug 19, 2014 -- 7:30 PM
* Installation Artist Ann Hamilton started off on an Odyssey when Art Collector/Philanthropic Steve Oliver invited her to create a work for his Sonoma Ranch. 5 years and tons of concrete later Ann's creation, a garret-like tower designed to be a performance space is inaugurated by New York performance artist Meredith Monk and her ensemble.
* Scott Kildall thinks of his work as Artist as gatherer. He thinks it's harder and harder to create original media objects so he get materials from the general public and repurposes that material. Spark watches him create Video Portraits, where he takes video with a digital camera while people think they are being asked to pose for a snapshot.
* Visit the studio of satirist and master printmaker Enrique Chagoya.
- KQED Life: Sun, Aug 24, 2014 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Aug 20, 2014 -- 1:30 AM
Ballet Afsaneh (Episode #515H)
KQED 9: Tue, Aug 5, 2014 -- 7:30 PM
Take a journey with Ballet Afsaneh as they perform the dance, music and poetry of the historic Silk Road regions of Central Asia.
- KQED 9: Sat, Aug 9, 2014 -- 5:00 AM
- KQED 9: Fri, Aug 8, 2014 -- 11:00 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Aug 6, 2014 -- 1:30 AM
Running Crew (Episode #514H)
KQED Life: Sun, Aug 3, 2014 -- 6:30 PM
Follow teens in the Running Crew, Brava's 3-month intensive job training program in theatrical technical skills.