Washington Week with Gwen Ifill
PBS' longest-running public affairs series features Washington's top journalists analyzing the week's top news stories and their effect on the lives of all Americans.
Washington Week with Gwen Ifill Previous Broadcasts
KQED 9: Fri, Jul 18, 2014 -- 7:30 PM
* There is plenty of speculation but few hard facts about the circumstances surrounding the crash of a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet in eastern Ukraine near the border with Russia. US officials have reportedly determined that the jetliner with 295 people on board was brought down by an anti-aircraft missile in an area under the control of pro-Russian separatists.
* Meanwhile, tensions are escalating in the Middle-East where late Thursday the Israeli military began a ground offensive in Gaza aimed at thwarting the barrage of missiles launched into Israeli territory.
* President Obama addressed a number of foreign policy issues including new sanctions against Russia over its conflict with Ukraine as well as the Israeli-Palestinian crisis during a statement from the White House on Wednesday.
Gwen Ifill will have analysis of the global flashpoints and foreign policy challenges facing the Obama administration with Michael Crowley of Time Magazine, Yochi Dreazen of Foreign Policy Magazine, Alexis Simendinger of RealClearPolitics.
- KQED World: Sun, Jul 20, 2014 -- 10:30 AM
- KQED World: Sun, Jul 20, 2014 -- 4:00 AM
- KQED World: Sat, Jul 19, 2014 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED World: Sat, Jul 19, 2014 -- 9:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Jul 19, 2014 -- 1:30 AM
KQED 9: Fri, Jul 11, 2014 -- 7:30 PM
* The influx of unaccompanied immigrant children has become a burgeoning humanitarian crisis on the Texas border with Mexico. This week President Obama asked Congress for nearly $4 billion in emergency funds to address the child refugee crisis but added that the long-term answer would be to pass a year-old bipartisan Senate bill overhauling the immigration system. Republicans said they would consider the president's request if it included amending a 2008 law that bars the immediate deportation of unaccompanied minors from countries other than Canada or Mexico. Ed O'Keefe of The Washington Post and Fawn Johnson of National Journal will examine the issues that lead to the surge in illegal immigrants and the ongoing debate over deportations, amnesty and comprehensive immigration reform.
*Indira Lakshmanan of Bloomberg News will have the latest on the escalating conflict between Israel and Hamas and reports that the Israeli military may be preparing to launch a ground invasion into Hamas-controlled territory in Gaza.
* Germany has expelled a CIA station chief in Berlin in response to two reported cases of suspected US spying on the country. Mark Mazzetti of The New York Times will report on how these latest revelations are straining US relations with Germany and other Western allies.
- KQED World: Sun, Jul 13, 2014 -- 10:30 AM
- KQED World: Sun, Jul 13, 2014 -- 4:00 AM
- KQED World: Sat, Jul 12, 2014 -- 6:30 PM
- KQED World: Sat, Jul 12, 2014 -- 9:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Jul 12, 2014 -- 1:30 AM