Coast Guard Searches for Missing Family
Authorities are still trying to identify a family that sent a series of distress calls Sunday afternoon, saying their boat was sinking 65 miles off the Monterey coast. The family of four had been sailing in rough seas.
The Coast Guard called off the active search this morning. Chief petty officer Mike Lutz said they didn't find any clues to the family or the boat.
"We have not seen any signs of distress or any signs of debris in the water," Lutz said, "and we searched an area approximately 20,000 square miles, which is roughly the size of West Virginia."
Lutz said the Coast Guard is searching marinas and databases to try to identify the family.
"We've been in contact with all the marinas along the California coast," Lutz said. "We've been in contact with our counterparts in Canada and even as far out in Hawaii to see if we can find any information on this missing family or even this vessel itself."
Lutz said that during the time the Coast Guard was in touch with the boat Sunday, authorities learned there were no life rafts on board, and no survival gear other than some life jackets.