Oakland Police Critics Want Charges Against Officer in Teen's Shooting
Backers of the family of Alan Blueford, an 18-year-old killed in a police shooting last May, appeared at Oakland City Hall on Friday to renew calls for criminal charges against the officer who fired the fatal shots.
A police report made public earlier in the week contains statements from several witnesses that Officer Miguel Masso shot Blueford as the teenager lay on his back and told the officer ‘I didn’t do anything.’ The police found a gun near Blueford’s body, and have said he brandished it before Masso opened fire.
Attorney Dan Siegel said that it was community pressure, including several disruptive visits to the Oakland City Council, that forced the release of the coroners, crime scene, and lab reports. And he’s hoping that continued pressure will influence the DA to prosecute.
“If they’re worried about some noise at City Council meetings, I think we can promise them a lot worse,” Siegel said.
The district attorney hasn’t issued its report on the incident as yet, nor has the Oakland Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division completed its investigation.