Tue, Jul 18, 2006 -- 9:00 AM
Hate Crimes Against Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and TransgendersDownload audio (MP3)
Forum discusses hate crimes against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders, and looks at the role of the criminal justice system, as well as resulting psychological effects of hate crime itself.
Host: Michael Krasny
- Connie Champagne, program director for Speaker's Bureau at Community United Against Violence
- David O'Malley, former police chief of Laramie, Wyo. and lead investigator of the Matthew Shepard case
- Dr. Greg Herek, professor of psychology at UC-Davis and author of "Hate Crimes: Confronting Violence Against Lesbians and Gay Men"
- Kamala Harris, San Francisco district attorney
- State Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, (D-San Jose), sponsor of AB1160, the Gwen Araujo Justice for Victims Act