Thu, Jun 13, 2013 -- 10:30 AM
San Francisco Opera's New Take on Mary MagdaleneDownload audio (MP3)
San Francisco Opera's latest production "The Gospel of Mary Magdalene" premieres next week. The opera takes on the controversial relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, using biblical texts and ancient Gnostic texts found in Egypt in 1948 that challenge the view of Mary as a woman of ill repute. We talk with the composer and librettist as well as the opera's director about the new production and the mythology of Mary Magdalene.
Host: Michael Krasny
- Kevin Newbury, director of "The Gospel of Mary Magdalene"
- Mark Adamo, composer and librettist of "The Gospel of Mary Magdalene"
- SF Opera Presents the Gospel, With Mary Magdalene in the Central Role (News Fix)
- About "The Gospel of Mary Magdalene" (SFOpera.com)
- The Saintly Sinner : Joan Acocella's New Yorker article